Since high school research papers are an important aspect of higher education, we can understand the need for the development of these skills during the earlier stages of education. However, no one can deny the fact that due to research papers, high school is getting more challenging than ever.
WHY IS WRITING HIGH SCHOOL RESEARCH PAPERS SO CHALLENGING, BUT IMPORTANT?
The traditional research paper has a specific structure, which is often too demanding students who are just starting to get into academic writing. This is not your usual high school English paper, which you’re allowed to base on your mere opinions. It’s all about researching through various reliable sources and interpreting them with your own words.
Some teachers will not only encourage you to use primary and secondary resources, but will also require you to interview at least one expert from the relevant area of study. If, for example, you’re writing a research paper on a topic from social sciences, you’ll need to interview a social worker. How scary is that?
Needless to say, high school report writing is important! It’s not just because the teacher says so. It’s because it sets the foundation of your writing skills, which you’ll definitely need if you plan to go to college or become successful in any profession. Even if you don’t go to college, you’ll still need to develop critical thinking and creative writing skills, so you can achieve good results in whatever career you choose.
TIPS ON WRITING A HIGH SCHOOL RESEARCH PAPER
So is there a way to make this academic paper less challenging and more approachable? Of course there is! You’ll just need to follow few instructions, and start working on the project ASAP. An early start is the most important “trick” for success.
We’ll give you few important tips:
- Define a Narrow Topic
When your teachers ask you to write essays or other types of papers, they give you a broad theme. For example, they may assign English literature as a broad theme for a high school research paper. You’ll have to narrow that theme down. You may choose a specific period, author, or piece of literature for your research paper, and then you’ll have to make the topic even narrower. The Religious Elements in Shakespeare’s Hamlet would be a nice title for such a research paper.
- To define the topic, you have to find an angle that triggers your interest.
- Go through online articles and all kinds of sources that tackle that broad theme. You’ll surely find something that gets your attention.
- Start with the Research
If you’ve written an argumentative essay before, you already know that thorough research is the foundation of a successful paper. The same thing goes for research papers high school, too. You’ll have to improve your skills to search through online resources.
- Google Scholar is a good search engine to try, since it leads you to sources you can safely quote in your paper.
- If you have time to go through printed materials from the school’s library, that would be great. Teachers are truly impressed by books, journals, and similar types of printed resources. You don’t have to read entire books; just locate the relevant ones and read the chapter that specifically tackles your topic.
- Keep track of all these resources. You’ll need to reference them as you write the paper.
- Don’t Write in First Person
Yes; it is possible to write an impressive research paper based on your own perspective. However, that’s a very risky challenge even for a professional writer. From a high-school student, the teacher expects the old-fashioned approach based on third-person narrative.
Think about it: you cannot write about the fall of the Berlin Wall from a personal perspective, can you? This is a project based on research, so it’s only natural for you to gather facts and discuss them from a neutral point of view.
- Plan the Format
It will be much easier for you to go through the actual writing process if you have an outline. This will be a template, which you’ll follow when you start writing. It will keep you focused.
The high school research paper is consisted of the following sections:
- Body (with different chapters)
Since this is a longer project, the body will naturally contain several chapters. Make sure to organize your ideas in a coherent format, which will be easy for the reader to follow.
- Write the Paper
This is the point when you really need to stay engaged. You have a solid base and a great outline to work on, right? Now, all you need to do is write the content.
- Use short sentences, so you’ll make the paper easy to read. Do not use slang! You don’t want to confuse the teacher and waste their time on content they can’t fully understand.
- Don’t edit as you write. That stage will come later on.
- Make It Perfect!
Finally, you came down to the editing stage. Whether it’s an essay, lab report, research paper, or any other type of assignment, you simply must go through the editing and proofreading stages.
- Check the paper sentence after sentence, paragraph after paragraph.
- Make sure the logical flow is flawless. If you notice rambling, get rid of the unnecessary sentences and paragraphs. If there’s lack of information, add it.
- Make sure you maintain the required word count. If your teacher asked you to write a research paper of around 1000 words, that’s a rule you should certainly follow.
WHAT IF YOU GET STUCK?
It’s easy to get stuck when writing a project of such complexity. Fortunately, you don’t need to worry. You can get professional writing help from talented writers. They will work according to your guidelines and the content will be delivered on time. There will be no plagiarism in it, and the price will be affordable.
The important thing is: don’t worry! There’s always a solution. Just try to write your own high school research paper, and ask for assistance if you get stuck.