You’re about to start writing a narrative paper, but you have a problem: you don’t know how to start. You keep wondering: “What is narrative essay writing, exactly?” You already know that a narration means a story, so you should tell a story. However, you also know what academic writing is, so you realize that this won’t be a simple story like the ones your grandparents used to tell you. You’ll have to write a paper that’s worthy of a good grade.
How do you do that?
Before we dive into the process of writing a narrative paper there’s always a way to make your life a little easier. You can use a professional writer service who knows exactly how to work with a specific type of essay. It’s worth consideration if you realize that you don’t have enough time to get the job done.
This guide will help you get there! We’ll give you the right tips to follow when you want to improve your narrative writing skills.
THE DEFINITION: WHAT IS AN ESSAY NARRATION?
The story that a narrative essay tells is usually an event or experience from the student’s past. That’s what professors usually assign. However, you may also write about an ongoing or recent experience or event. A memorable person, such as Nelson Mandela for example, can also be a good inspiration for a narrative essay topic.
This narration gives you freedom for creative expression. It’s not a critical thinking assignment, so you don’t have to use “advanced” academic language.
The format of a narrative essay is rather simple. You have three main elements to pay attention to:
- Introduction, which should tell the reader what kind of narration this will be. Is it an observation, experience, event, or a person?
- Body, where you’ll tell the story about the experience, event, or observation. You should organize the essay well, so make sure to achieve balance between the body paragraphs. Usually, students aim for writing three body paragraphs in narrative essay, but that’s not a strict rule.
- Conclusion, where you’ll reflect on the larger meaning of the narration.
THINGS TO HAVE IN MIND WHEN WRITING NARRATIVE ESSAYS
This type of paper calls for a special approach. If you’ve ever read a good book, you already know what a great narration is. You need an example? Read the first chapter of Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables. The author takes you into a world of characters and events, and you have an impression that you’re right there, observing the lives of these people.
That’s the kind of style you’re aiming for. However, since we’re talking about academic writing after all, you’ll focus on a non-fiction topic.
You need few tips to land the perfect narration style? Here they come:
- You may reed essay a sample or examples of good narration, but you must never fall into plagiarism! Remember: this is your chance to write a really unique, captivating story that you can call your own. Use it well!
- The narrative essay should include all typical parts of a story. Think about the characters, setting, plot, climax, and resolution. Imagine you’re writing the scenario for a movie and you have to include all these elements in the script. Then, tell the story as if you’re pitching it to a producer.
- Use vivid, but precise language. Using an online thesaurus to find more complex words is not a good idea. Your style should still be simple and readable. The language, however, should be very lively and expressive.
- The reader should feel involved in the narration. You’ll achieve that effect if you make the characters and events as realistic as possible. Sensory details make a strong effect, so describe how things feel, smell, taste, look, or sound like.
- You may use anecdotes and dialogues to bring the details to life.
- The grammar must be impeccable!
YOUR GUIDE TO NARRATIVE ESSAY WRITING
Now that we explained what a narrative essay really is, it’s time to focus on the process. How do you write it?
- An Early Start Is the Key to Success
This creative writing project is simpler than an argumentative essay or a research paper. It doesn’t take as long to write it. However, that doesn’t mean you should start procrastinating! Give yourself enough time to think about the story and see how it will develop in your mind.
- Choose a Good Topic
The title of your narrative essay should make a strong impact. It should engage the reader and make them think that they are about to read something extraordinary. The success of this project will depend on the topic you choose.
Most of the time, teachers give you a general theme to stick to. Your narrative essay should be about a particular issue, such as environmental problems, social issues, or personal relationships. Here are few suggestions for you to consider:
- An experience or event that transformed you
- A problem you had to overcome
- A failure you had to deal with
If you cannot think of a great topic right from the start, try brainstorming! Write down your ideas without thinking too much about them. Note anything that comes to your mind. Then, you’ll consider each idea and you’ll choose the best one.
- Plan the Outline
Once you have your main theme, you should plan the development of the content. Figure out what you’ll write in the introduction, body, and conclusion. Note down your ideas and structure them in an outline with a logical flow. It’s important to plan a manageable plot, so you won’t face any issues during the writing stage.
- Write It!
Now, all you have to do is write that paper! This is the kind of assignment that you can truly enjoy. Just get immersed into your own story and convey your thoughts and feelings in the best way possible.
- Don’t Forget the Editing Stage
Many students ignore the necessity for a revision of their first draft. That’s a huge mistake. When you don’t edit the paper, you risk submitting content that’s full of grammar, spelling, and syntax issues.
THERE’S ALWAYS A SOLUTION WHEN YOU’RE STUCK
Although the narrative essay is one of the easier academic assignments to complete, it’s still a big challenge. When you have no time to work on it, it’s a burden and you don’t know how to handle it.
There’s a way out! You can buy the paper from a professional writing service. You’ll just order it online, and you’ll pay an affordable price with a discount! An MA or PhD writer will work on your essay, and you’ll get it ready by the deadline.